August 30, 2004

Apparently, Bush-Bashing Can Be Funny

Or so I've read. Just looked through a CBS.com reprint of an article by Katha Pollitt, originally for The Nation. It's titled "Bashing the Bush-Bashers," something she never seems to actually do. The main point seems to be that: yes, there are a bunch of people out there who fanatically hate George Bush, but lighten up people! The right takes it too seriously. At least the left has a sense of humor!

Near the end of the article I ran across this gem:
It's really a stretch to suggest that the newly awakened anti-Bush advocates are just the lefty equivalent of the hard-right disinformation machine. Al Franken is no Bill O'Reilly. The New York Times editorial page equates MoveOn PAC's ads with those of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, and it's true both are funded through gaps in campaign-finance laws, and both attack the enemy candidate on his war record. But the Swift Boat vets' charges are a mess of smears and lies with Karl Rove's fingerprints all over them, while MoveOn's ads raise genuine questions about Bush's service record that have never been answered.

Whoooohooooohooooo! Aw, Jeez...Stop! I'm bustin' a gut here! I guess they DO have a sense of humor, after all. I...Huh? That part was supposed to be serious? You're kidding, right? Well, I wish they'd make up their damn minds...

Check me if I'm wrong, but didn't MoveOn start as a push for Congressional censure of President Clinton, so that the country could "move on to more important matters than a president lying under oath"? It seems to me, then, that MoveOn should be right in line with the Swift Boat Vets--pushing for John Kerry to release all his military records so that the truth can be discovered and the country can "move on" to more important issues.

But I guess they're a long way from that little "bipartisan, grassroots" organization, what with accepting illegal contributions from overseas, and those paltry contributions from people like George Soros and his wife, Progressive Corp's Peter Lewis, and Linda Pritzker, of the Hyatt family. They don't have an agenda, right? They don't smear, or lie, or obfuscate, right?

Riiiiiiight.... As my dad says, "If you believe that, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you."

I do have a sense of humor, but occasionally, I am Dead Serious.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:11 PM

    You're a douchebag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Anonymous said...
    You're a douchebag."

    Damn! What wit! What repartee! I bow to your superior talent. If only you had left a name! I can only assume that modesty surrounding your clearly superior, superhuman brain prevented you from identifying yourself and allowing the rest of us to bask in your glory.

    That, or you're just a cowardly fuck.

    ReplyDelete