August 11, 2008

The Thrill of Victory

Man, every time I watch an Olympics, I think "it just can't get any better than this." And four years later, I'm wrong.

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

The opening ceremonies? Wow. Just...amazing. I'm at a loss.

The men's 4x100m freestyle relay? It goes right up there with some of the great Olympic moments--Rulon Gardner over monster Alexander Karelin (2000); Spitz and his 7 golds/world records in '72; Kerri Strug landing on one ankle to win gold in 1996; the 1980 "miracle on ice"; and probably my favorite--Jesse Owens goes to Berlin and shoves four gold medals up Hitler's ass in 1936 in the best "fuck you and your Aryan race" ever.

The women's gymnastics? I hope they can pull it together after a somewhat disappointing opening. (Especially because I think Alicia Sacramone is a hottie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment