July 22, 2004

Shut Up And Sing!

I'm getting a little tired of celebrities who seem bound and determined to tell you what they think, and then cry "censorship" when it comes back to bite them in the ass.  Most of them fail to make the most obvious distinction--yes, it's a free country, and you have every right to give your political opinion...but not when I'm paying for a damn concert! We pay ridiculous prices because we want to hear you sing a varied selection of your popular songs. That's it. 

And they're not the only ones who have the benefit of free speech. When I leave in the middle of a performance and rip down your posters on my way out, that's my free speech. When the owner of the venue kicks you out and says you're never coming back, that's not censorship, that's his free speech.

Bonnie Raitt is another example. In an apparent bid to get that ever-so-important Swedish vote for Kerry, Raitt dedicated the song "Your Good Thing (Is About To End)" to George Bush.  Reminds me of the Dixie Chicks in London. Why is it that these performers wait until they're outside the country before they start mouthing off? Did somebody let the Swedes and the Brits vote in our elections when I wasn't looking? If Bonnie Raitt really wants to impress me, she'll wait until she's in concert in Texas and then make her dedication. Trashing the President in Sweden is hardly a risk.


No comments:

Post a Comment